Monday 1 December 2014

Virtual Beggar - 2 Stars


What is it?

I was browsing for some new apps to review and stumbled across Virtual Beggar. I literally did a double take when I saw the name. When I started to read about the app I couldn't believe my eyes that someone would actual create a game about a homeless person. I wasn't alone in my shock in some comments made but there were several that said it was addictive, so I decided to see what it was like.

The game starts by you basically tapping to earn coins. At first I thought that you had to tap the people that walk past the character to get coins, but no, just tap anywhere. I will admit this got boring quickly. The more coins you collect the higher levels your achieve. With the coins you can buy things but, and it might be that I am playing on an iPhone 4s, it was difficult in the pixilated text to see what I was buying.

As I continued tapping, I won a card, and somehow this led to me buying a shop and being able to hire staff. Now the game wanted me to keep putting the hired staff to work as well as continuing to beg. It is a little like a SIM game. To put this into context when I was a child I gave my Tamagotchi away as it was too much effort with little reward. I did however, continue and put the employees to work.

After playing for a good thirty minutes, I am sorry to say that I lost interest in the game and if I wasn't reviewing it I would have lost it a lot sooner. Even the little notifications weren't tempting me back.

I imagine if you like Tapped Out and don't mind to controversial topic of a homeless person begging while owning a business this could be one to look at. However, if like me you don't like SIM games and like something that has an immediate purpose then this might not be for you. 

Now for some ratings.....

Ease of use 3 
Can you tap? Then you can play this game. The text on the menu to buy things and the speech bubbles from the players is a little difficult to read, but as I said this could have been that I am playing on an iPhone 4s. The premise of the game as it evolves does so without much explanation so I just kept tapping.
Price - 5
This is free and I didn't come across any in app purchases. 

Adverts - 5
From the time I spent using the app I didn't have any adverts. During my play I didn't come across any in app purchases but thats not to say there aren't any. 

Keep, jury is out or delete - Delete
I hate to say delete to an app but this one wasn't for me. I can see that a lot of work has gone into the app and the popular pixelated theme had been used for design. The game, for me, didn't captivate me sorry :(

Overal Rating - 2
I will give credit where it is due, this is a unique theme and designed well in the pixel world but it wasn't for me.

Where to find it:


No comments:

Post a Comment