Saturday 4 January 2014

Crystal Storm - 4 Stars


What is it?
This is a puzzle game were you blow up chains of crystals on a grid (different styles as you progress) to complete mini tasks and move to next challenges. Basically you touch anywhere in the chain and it blows up. The quicker you make the connections the more chance you have to complete the level. 

It took me to level four before it got interesting, I am now on the third stage, I am liking this app. As you go through the game you pick up relics, which are special powers that you can select for each game and use when you need them.

The app has what I would describe as a medieval mystical feel in terms of how the levels and worlds are presented. If you don't like that theme don't let it put you off as the content of the levels is a grid formation with good graphics. I must admit I didn't read the descriptions for each level before I started but the further into the game the more you need to read.  The write up on the relics are a bit long, so I just went for trial and error!

The game in appearance does remind me of Bejewelled but I found it a lot easier as you don't need to search as much to move and if all else fails you can just keep pressing random places in the screen.

As you complete levels and continue returning to the app you earn coins, which can be exchanged for relics, to date I have not spent any but give me a few more levels! 

When you have completed some levels you are taken to a map, where you can see a coin with various jewels, I am not quite sure why it does this as you can't select anything, just press continue. 

Like Jelly Splash, Disco Bees and Candy Crush this app gives you five lives and when you lose them you have to wait for them to be restored, or buy additional. It also asks to access your Facebook profile, but I didn't allow it, but be careful as you can easily press the link trying to get to the next level. 

It took me a while to get into this game, but now I am finding myself playing it when I have a few minutes to kill. I am not sure I have mastered the logic behind it but I seem to be winning! If you like Bejewelled and Jelly Splash with a little twist then this one could be worth a try. 

Now for some ratings.....

Ease of use -
This is simple enough to use on the basic settings, but some of the instructions can be a little lengthy and the writing is small. When I read the instructions it did help, but speed is the key to this game, which isn't always evident. Sometimes I would lose and be at a loss as to why!
Price - 4
This is a free app with in app purchases including additional lives and relics, thankfully I didn't need these. 

Adverts - 3
There are adverts in this game but they are infrequent and do not trap you into entering the App Store.  The adverts are full screen but have an immediate cross in the corner to close them and continue playing the game.

Keep, jury is out or delete - Keep
I will be keeping this game as the levels are quick and I can play when I have a few minutes  spare.  I think as I progress through the app it will get more complex and I am looking to the challenge. 

Where to find it:
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crystal-storm/id618160509?l=de&ls=1&mt=8

No comments:

Post a Comment