Wednesday 22 January 2014

Numtris - 4 Stars

What is it?
Numtris is a game where you match numbers that fall from the top of the screen to complete challenges. The 'tris' element made me think of the classic Tetris, my first ever game! The similarity is the falling of the pieces that you need to get rid of before the game reaches the top of the screen. Instead of falling shapes, there are squares with different numbers.

The aim of the game is to connect the same numbers to remove them from the screen i.e 3,3,3 and they are deleted.  As you progress you need to connect the squares to change the number to complete chains for example 1 and 2 becomes 3. The tutorials for the introduction of new methods are well written and caused me no confusion. Currently I am on the fourth world and have numbers 1-4 to play with. 

As you play you earn credit. The more you frequently play the more your earn and this can be exchanged for lives and to continue playing if you fail the level. I continued play a few times, but to be honest it didn't help me!

Don't let the first world on this game make you think it is easy, as you progress the challenges get more difficult especially when the blocks speed up!

The appearance of this isn't graphic filled it clean, clear and colourful on a white background and I think it works, if there were loads of fancy effects I think it would detract from the game.

One thing I don't like about the game is how the lives are used. Basically every time you play you use a life, even if you win! I can understand why they have done this as it is addictive and you find yourself tempted to buy credits, but if like me you play these types of games this is unusual.   Like Candy Crush and Jelly Splash you can buy more lives or wait a set period of time for the lives to be earned. 

I liked this game, and have found myself playing it quite a bit of an evening, it even prompted me to download the Letris, which I haven't played just yet. Don't get me wrong I did get level frustration and found myself dipping into the credits I had earned throughout game play to continue! If you don't like logic games, numbers or the classic Tetris this may not be for you but it was right up my street!

Now for some ratings.....

Ease of use - 4
The instructions for this make this game easy to function, that is not to say it is an easy game.  Sometime connecting the squares I had a couple of difficulties especially when the board is more full, but I will accept that could be user error. 
Price - 4
This is free, with in app purchases. I like that the purchases are subtle and not constantly promoted. 

Adverts - 4
There are occasional adverts in this app, but I hardly noticed them. The reason I have given this rating is because the ads shown don't trick you to the App Store and they are very infrequent. 

Keep, jury is out or delete - Keep
Keep! I like it as it is right up my street. The only draw back is the lives issue as I do not like that I lose a life when I win... bitter sweet!

Where to find it:
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/numtris/id770145061?mt=8

No comments:

Post a Comment